BGC: Introduction to Building Our Global Community
Jan 30, 2020
09:00 AM - 12:00 PM
200 South Capitol Street, Iowa City, IA 52240
To register for courses, sign in to UI Employee Self Service, and click the "My Career" tab. Select "Learning and Development", and click on "My Training", and then "Enroll in Courses" on the top left. In "Find a Course" section type "BGC" in the "Course Title" and click "Search Courses". All of the series' classes begin with the code "BGC" and click "View Details" to enroll in a course.
This introduction session will introduce the Building Our Global Community program and share an overview of the international student and scholar population at the University of Iowa. Participants will have opportunity to learn about the cultural adjustment experienced by international students, and participate in an interactive activity demonstrating the challenges of being a non-native English speaker. The session will conclude with an international student panel sharing their experiences transitioning to the U.S. and studying at the University of Iowa.
Participants who attend this session will be able to:
- ?identify the purpose of the Building Our Global Community program and how the program can assist with working effectively with international students and scholars
- articulate an overview of the international population at The University of Iowa
- understand cultural adjustment and apply strategies to assist with the transition
- discuss first-hand the challenges of being a non-native English speaker
- understand some of the experiences of international students studying at The University of Iowa
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at