American Red Cross: Lifeguarding Certification
Mar 25, 2022
07:00 PM - 05:00 PM
309 South Madison Street, Iowa City, IA 52242
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding course, the participant will receive an American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, which is valid for two years.
- Must be at least 15 years of age before the last scheduled class session
- Must demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs starting in the water
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
If participants apply to work for Recreational Services within two weeks of completion of the course and maintain employment through one full semester (depending on start date), $100.00 of the course fee will be refunded back to the participant. If high school students apply within two weeks of completion of the course and work the following university academic breaks: Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring break, $100.00 of the course fee will be refunded back to the participant. For questions regarding this incentive, please contact Emily Downes.
- Friday, March 25 | 7 - 10 p.m.
- Saturday, March 26 | 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sunday, March 27 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Registration closes the Wednesday prior to the first day of class at 5:00 p.m.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at