Three Minute Thesis Final Competition
Nov 4, 2022
01:00 PM - 03:00 PM
141 North Riverside Drive, Iowa City, IA 52246
The University of Iowa’s Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition challenges graduate students to clearly and concisely articulate complex research to non-specialist audiences.
Join us on Nov. 4 at 1 p.m. to see our amazing 3MT finalists present their incredible research at the final competition. This event is open to all of UI campus and community!
3MT Finalists 2022 (listed by alphabetical order by last name)
- Mayo Akinbo, Immunology PhD - TIM3 on DCs Helps Fight Viruses
- Kassie Baron, English PhD - The Difference a Mill Girl Makes
- Berkley Conner, Rhetoric, Culture & Engagement PhD, Containing Menstruation - "Protecting" the Nation
- Jace Heath, Immunology PhD - An investigation into the post-thymic regulation and function of the CD5 co-receptor in T cells
- Amanda Heiderscheit, Immunology PhD - A novel biomarker for chronic kidney disease: C3 glomerulopathy
- Tahsin Khataei, Health & Human Physiology - No Pain No Gain" vs "All Pain No Gain
- Vingie Ng, Human Toxicology PhD - Vaping vs. Asthma: Smoking without the Smoke
- Winter Philibert, Biomedical Engineering PhD - Nitric Oxide: A Key to New Respiratory Disease Treatments
- Riley Post, Civil Engineering PhD - Can Little Ponds Fight Big Floods?
- Nimesh Pasan Ranasinghe, Chemistry PhD - Membrane Science: A solution for major global challenges
- Austin Santhin, Immunology PhD - Vaccines from Trees: You'll be saying "Yes Please!"
- Piyumi Wijesirigunawardana, Organic Chemistry PhD - Investigating a cure for Alzheimer's
- Konna Zoga, Chemical & Biomedical Engineering - Thermal treatment of biofilm infections: the next step
- $1,000 for 1st place (decided by judges) and the option for funding to travel to the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) 2023.
- $500 for honorable mention (decided by judges).
- $250 for the "People's Choice" winner, selected by audience ballot.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at