- African American Studies Program
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Department of American Studies
- Department of Cinematic Arts
- Department of Communication Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies
- Department of Sociology and Criminology
- Division of Student Life
- Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
- Obermann Center
- Office of the Vice President for Research
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- University Libraries
Imagining Belonging Panel - Sports, Power, and Resistance Obermann Arts & Humanities Symposium
Sep 22, 2023
10:15 AM - 01:00 PM
123 South Linn Street, Iowa City, IA 52240
Welcomes and Panel #1: Imagining Belonging
- Michael Butterworth (University of Texas, Austin): "The Team That United a City: On Sports Documentaries and the Rhetorical Construction of Unity"
- Theresa Runstedtler (American University): "Black vs. White Ball: Race and the 1974 NBA Finals"
- Ashley Brown (University of Wisconsin, Madison): “A Patriot’s Game: Tennis, Physical Fitness, and ‘Good Citizenship’ during World War II”
- Abraham Kahn (University of Arkansas): “Sundays and Saturdays: Brian Flores, The Epistemology of Ignorance, and the Racial Politics of Labor in the National Football League”
There will be a break from 1-2:30 p.m.
This event is a part of the Sports, Power, and Resistance: Legacies and Futures Obermann Arts and Humanities Symposium.
Free and open to all.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at