- Center for Language and Culture Learning
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Department of French and Italian
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
- Foreign Language Acquisition Research and Education
- International Programs
- International Studies Program
Bridging Voices: Exploring Language Justice and Identity
Jan 30, 2024
09:30 AM - 11:00 AM
Please note: This event was originally scheduled for Nov. 28, 2023.
This webinar, hosted by the University of Iowa (UI) and the University of Dar es Salaam, will invite panelists to share knowledge and experience on language justice. Language justice is a concept that encompasses the fair and equitable treatment of all languages and linguistic communities, ensuring that individuals and groups have equal opportunities to communicate, participate, and access services in their preferred language(s). It is rooted in the principles of linguistic diversity, inclusion, and the recognition of the importance of language in shaping individual and collective identity.
Speakers from the University of Dar es Salaam and the University of Iowa will address key aspects of language justice, such as language equality, access to services, cultural preservation, inclusivity, eliminating language barriers, and promoting multilingualism.
This event follows the signing of a memorandum of understanding between the two universities which will lead to further collaboration.
Guest panelists include:
- William A. L. Anangisye, professor of education and vice chancellor, University of Dar es Salaam
- Russ Ganim, associate provost and dean of International Programs, University of Iowa
- Ramona Koob, graduate student enrolled in the Humanities Lab on Language Justice, University of Iowa
- Beatrice Mkenda, associate professor, Department of French and Italian, University of Iowa
- Salvatory S. Nyanto, senior lecturer, director of the Office of the Vice Chancellor, University of Dar es Salaam
- Hadija K. Mwendah, lecturer, University of Dar es Salaam
Event co-sponsors include the UI International Studies Program (ISP), the UI Division of World Languages and Cultures, UI International Programs, University of Dar es Salaam Office of Vice Chancellor, and the Directorate of Internationalization Convocation and Advancement at the University of Dar es Salaam.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at