Little Sioux River Archaeology Day
It's Iowa Archaeology Month! This annual event at the Sanford Museum and Planetarium is featuring several OSA archaeologists during their presentations and outdoor activities!
Come-and-go indoor archaeology presentations include:
- 1:00-1:30: Timeline of Prehistoric Cultures of Northwest Iowa, Megan Stroh, Sanford Museum and Planetarium
- 1:30-2:00: Mounds in Iowa, Lara Nolder, University of Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
- 2:00-2:30: Experimental Archaeology: Earth Ovens, Colin Betts, Luther College
- 2:30-3:00: Animal Remains at Archaeological Sites, Cherie Haury-Artz, University of Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
- 3:00-3:30: Mammoth Excavation, Mark Anderson, University of Iowa Office of the State Archaeologist
- 3:30-4:00: Native American Symbolism, David Benn, Bear Creek Archaeology
Outdoor activities will take place from 1-4pm and include: flintknapping, games, atlatl throwing, basket making, edible plant ID, and more!
Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Silver Sioux Recreation Area 5990 Silver Sioux Rd, Cherokee, IA