Midwest Actuarial Student Conference
The fifth Midwest Actuarial Student Conference, hosted by the University of Iowa, will be held on September 29 and 30, 2017. Register here.
The two-day conference is designed for undergraduate actuarial science majors from throughout the Midwest. It is free for students and includes an opening Friday evening dinner and Saturday’s breakfast and lunch. The cost of the conference has been covered by employers, athe Casualty Actuarial Society, and the Society of Actuaries.
The goal of the conference is to provide valuable information related to the actuarial profession as it affects the college student, while allowing plenty of time for networking among students, presenters, and sponsors.
The conference will include sessions that cover:
- Where are the Jobs? A discussion of the recently released study on actuarial talent by the Society of Actuaries, the Casualty Actuarial Society, and the Canadian Institute of Actuaries.
- Workshop on Effective Communication.
- Industry Opportunities. A panel discussion on the differences between practice areas (life, health, pension, and property and casualty) and type of employment (consulting, insurance company, and reinsurance company).
- The Interview Process. A discussion on what to expect as well as a list of do’s and don’ts for students. The panel consisted of representatives from two companies who are on-campus recruiters and the assistant director of the career center for the University of Michigan.
- Actuarial Club Best Practices. Actuarial clubs of the various universities represented at the conference shared best practices.
- Concurrent Sessions covering:
- Information for international students
- Information for high school student
- Graduate school information
- Recent changes in the Society of Actuaries and the Casualty Actuarial Society exams
Registration and more information is available here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/5th-annual-midwest-actuarial-student-conference-registration-33854008250?aff=dept
Saturday, September 30, 2017
Coralville Marriott Hotel and Conference Center
300 E. 9th St., Coralville, IA 52241