- African American Studies Program
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Department of American Studies
- Department of Cinematic Arts
- Department of Communication Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Gender, Women’s, and Sexuality Studies
- Department of Sociology and Criminology
- Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
- Obermann Center
- Office of the Vice President for Research
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- University Libraries
Athletes and Resistance Panel - Sports, Power, and Resistance Obermann Arts & Humanities Symposium
Sep 23, 2023
10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
123 South Linn Street, Iowa City, IA 52240
Panel #3: Athletes and Resistance
Adrian Burgos (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign): "In Clemente's Wake: Afro-Latino Ballplayers and the Quest for Respect"
Noah Cohan (Washington University, St. Louis): “Raising a Glass Helmet: How Black Athletes and Artists Resist Football’s Head Gear”
Jaime Schultz (Penn State University): "Consumed: On Women, Distance Running, Disordered Eating, and Illness Narratives"
Moderated by Glenn Houlihan, a PhD student in American Studies at the University of Iowa
This event is a part of the Sports, Power, and Resistance: Legacies and Futures Obermann Arts and Humanities Symposium.
Free and open to all.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all University of Iowa–sponsored events. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance at